Saturday 14 March 2015

New Blog Series - How to Stick to Your Diet on Vacation - Day 1

Current Macros:

170g Carbs
106g Protein
66g Fat
1700 calories

I do follow the IIFYM diet, however I do not just eat anything. I try to eat healthy generally speaking, keep my sodium low and eliminate dairy whenever I can. I am not too strict with my diet, that is just a personal preference, however eating totally clean is obviously a really amazing thing to do and if I had a specific purpose like competing and such I would probably push a little harder to do so. With that being said, I just like to have a good balance, I think it is the best way to stay motivated and curb any binging or cravings. At the moment I am cutting so my caloric intake is lower than usual which makes it a lot harder to stay within these boundaries, especially on vacation when it is so easy to just completely fall off of routine and eat lots of greasy foods. This is how I am going to document my time on vacation and how I have stayed on track, I figure it will help keep me accountable and maybe help some people who have similar goals!

Day 1:


Today will probably be a huge challenge just because myfitnesspal requires Wi-Fi and I’ll be driving to Florida, so I won’t have access. I have already pre-logged two meals because I knew in advance where we would be stopping for lunch and obviously I had breakfast at home. The hardest part today will be figuring out how to make dinner fit my macros as closely as possible, while also trying to hit that 28g of fiber.

Breakfast:


¾ cup Egg Whites
0g Carbs
0g Fat
21g Protein
90 calories

1 cup Almond Milk
3.5g Fat
2g Carbs
1g Protein

1 scoop Iso Sensation 93 Protein Powder (Cookies n Crème)
0g Fat
1g Carbs
30g Protein
130 calories

So Basically for breakfast I had a ton of protein just so I made sure I got enough for the day since I was not really completely sure where we would be stopping along the way. I typically have protein in the morning regularly as well, I think it is a good tip for anyone who is not completely planning what they will be eating throughout the day, it generally makes things a lot easier.

Snack:


Special K Strawberry Protein Bar:
23g Carbs
5g Fat
10g Protein
170 calories

Sometimes I cheat a little and have diet drinks! Shhhh :$ 


Lunch:


Single Cheese Burger
31g Carbs
16g Fat
15g Protein
280 calories


Small Fries
33 Carbs
11 Fat
2g Protein

Ketchup (300g)
6 Carbs
0.6 Fat
3.6 Protein
60 calories


So, for lunch we went to Steak n Shake which was a lot of fun. I pre-logged this in advance to make sure I could work my day around it. It wasn’t actually too bad, the sodium was just out of this world. I’m not too concerned about sodium, I have kind of accepted it will be high while I’m on vacation which for some people wouldn’t be ideal. For my regular diet I would not be too happy with this, however for my vacation, especially while on the road I am okay as long as my macros are good!

Dinner:


Quiznos Ham Sub  on Whole Wheat with Veggies & Cheese
58.8 Carbs
5 Fat
18.8 Protein
350 calories

Ranch Sauce
1.5 Carbs
8.5 Fat
0.5 Protein
80 calories

This was my last meal of the day. It was not planned and I had no choice over where we went. The place we stopped had a starbucks, burger king, sbarro and quiznos. The flaw with my fitness pal is that in order to look foods up you need internet or data and in the States I don’t have access to data. In order to log this I already had a sub on my frequently eaten foods because Josh and I like to go to subway a lot. So since quiznos is 8 inchs I logged it as 1 ¼ ham sub on whole wheat with veggies and cheese. So this may not be 100% accurate, but its pretty close and for on the road & my first day I think I did pretty well!

So here are my final macros for the day:


156 Carbs
50 Fat
102 Protein
1440 Calories


So I was about 15 under fat and carbs, 5 under protein and 260 under my calories. I was sitting in the car all day, so I decided to go under a bit, but I’m really happy with it because I still almost hit my protein! Overall, for the first day I think I did really well, only thing is I wish I was able to hit my fiber, but that’s the goal for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment